Applying to the Residency
Only a limited number of residency opportunities are offered at one time. These will be awarded to the most highly qualified new graduate BSN nurses with the greatest potential for professional development and achievement. We encourage you to apply as soon as you determine your interest in our Nurse Residency Program.
Minimum requirements for new graduates hired into the Nurse Residency Program include the following:
- Graduation from an accredited* BSN or MSN-entry level program within the previous six months
- No prior work experience as an RN or LPN
- GPA: 3.0 is required; 3.5 is preferred
- Senior practicum or Capstone in specialty area is preferred
- Must be licensed in the state of Maryland as an RN (or other Compact state per Maryland Board of Nursing guidelines) at the start of the Residency Program (NOTE: you do not to be licensed when you apply to the program, just at the start of the program)
- American Heart Association BLS
- Upon graduation from the program (12 months in length), RN agrees to a commitment to work full time (0.9 or higher) for the equivalent of 3,744 hours
Adventist HealthCare runs the Nurse Residency Program twice a year, typically in February and then in July or August. The February 2017 residency cohort is currently closed for new applicants. The application dates for the July/August 2017 residency will be February 27th through April 14th. Please search for “Nurse Residency” – Click Here
Adventist HealthCare maintains a rigorous application process to ensure that we invite the best and brightest new graduates to join us. This multi-step process is outlined below in order for you to plan your submission strategy prior to applying.
- Check for job postings on the Adventist HealthCare Career Opportunities Webpage for “New Grad RN Residency Program” with your desired specialty area of practice (Clinical areas may vary seasonally, depending upon the staffing needs of Adventist HealthCare).
- Residency programs are at the following locations:
- Washington Adventist Hospital
- Shady Grove Medical Center
- Adventist HealthCare Physical Health & Rehabilitation
- Adventist Behavioral Health
- Complete the Adventist HealthCare online application form.
- Once you complete your application, you will be contacted by the nurse recruiter via email. Once you have received instructions, you may submit (via PDF attachments, please) your Professional Portfolio, which will include:
- Cover letter
- Reason for applying
- Expectations of the program
- Why you are interested in working on the unit you are applying for
- Why you should be chosen for the New Graduate Nurse Residency and how you will make a difference in our patient’s lives
- Resume – please email a stand-alone copy and also copy it into the application. Include the following
- Your current GPA
- Anticipated graduated date
- Name of your school and the program type (BSN, entry-level MSN)
- Where you are completing your senior practicum (if known)
- Clinical Narrative (click here for more information on the Clinical Narrative)
There will be numerous steps to complete for consideration for this program. Please monitor your email/spam folders for correspondence.
NOTE: Apply only to the residency program that you are interested in. Multiple applications do not increase your selection chances.
* ACEN (formally known as NLN) or CCNE accredited nursing program